Wednesday 6 September 2023

Enjoy the silence


 Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. – Deepak Chopra

It is undeniable that today's world is insufferably noisy. Our everyday obligations aside, blaring television sets and sound systems, heavy traffic and the constant pinging from the notifications on our phones are ceaseless. This creates extended periods of time our brain is in stress mode, which in turn leads to chronic stress, insomnia, you name it.

 

Today I would like to challenge you to come out of your comfort zone and carve out one hour-or if you are daring, three hours- of silence. It can be any time of your choosing, morning or evening.Go technology free and switch off  your computer, ipad, phone, even your music player. Concentrate on the inner silence.No doubt your hand will reflexively reach for your phone but try to resist the urge. We are all so addicted to watching reels, consuming what the media feeds us. I am as guilty as anyone else on this. I work for hours on my computer and I do love watching a good movie on TV or listening to my favourite music. Our lives are imbued with electronics and media-related information. And while it cannot be avoided altogether, it would be a healthy and balanced choice to set some boundaries once or twice every week, for the sake of our overall well-being.

What can you do with one to three hours of  technology silence? Well, I've got a list ready for you, with activities we have thrown in the river of oblivion.Let's remember some of them, shall we? 

*Read a good book, whether fiction or non-fiction, it's up to you.

 


 *Take a long bath and enjoy the silence.Light some candles and focus on your breathing. It works wonders if you want to de-stress. 

*Draw or paint. I've recently started drawing again. Actually, I used to be quite good and I plan on spending more time on it. Who knows what will come out of it? I can tell you it relaxes me and gives me great satisfaction and joy.

*Make some tea or pour yourself some wine and sit on your balcony, garden or in your living room. Surrender to the silence and heed any insights or a-ha moments that come up for you.

*Do some yoga or work out.

*Spend some time on self care. Hair, nails, massage, whatever you like, or need. It will be a time well spent with yourself and for yourself.

*Hug your spouse, your children and just sit together. Maybe have a conversation, play a game or read together. 

*Go out for a long walk. If you're lucky to live close to nature, take a walk in woods. If you live in a concrete city, go to the park or just a walk in your neighbourhood. Either way, you'll be benefitted both physically and mentally.

Silence is a great teacher and a source of valuable insights. A couple of times per week in silence should benefit you immensely and you'll be grateful that you did.

I'm really hoping you'll give this a go. It's not easy I know. It's just so sad though that we consciously have to make such an effort to turn off all electronics and do all those things that once gave us so much joy and pleasure.Now is as good moment as any to start. 

Well, that's all from me. I sincerely hope you'll try setting those boundaries and find yourself again in things and activities that have been set aside if not altogether forgotten.

As always, sending you ripples of positivity and love,

Lia馃挀
   

3 comments:

  1. Wow, everything is in Greek here, except for the blog post. Well, I just wanted to say "Hi" and to add that I do all these things mentioned in your composition on a daily basis. They are indeed beneficial. Honestly, I don't actually see how can creating such habits be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Ivana, it's amazing to see you here! Thank you so much for dropping a comment! I changed the language setting in English so it should be easier next time. These things I mention are, and should not be,hard and are extremely beneficial. I know of many people who do not take their eyes off the screen. So the thought of these very pleasant and beneficial activities does not even cross their minds. So maybe it's not the activities themselves that are hard but rather overcoming the addiction of constantly looking at a screen.And that is extremely sad.

    ReplyDelete

Walking Your Talk: The Power of Authenticity

      A quote I  was thinking about today is the following by Mark Sanborn:"Integrity is measured by the distance between your lips and...