Monday 31 July 2023

Some thoughts on happiness

 

 


 

“I have lived through much and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes to be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one’s neighbor—such is my idea of happiness. And then, on top of all that, you for a mate. What more can the heart of a human desire?”

 

-Leo Tolstoy 


I'll keep it short and sweet at the beginning of this new week.There's no need for me to rehash all the cliches on happiness nor do I wish to waste your precious time. 

 

These past few days I have been feeling a bit off, lacking motivation, disheartened. I felt something was amiss with me, with my goals and relationships, just about everything. As I was mindlessly scrolling on the internet, I came across this precious gem of wisdom, by none other than THE best author ever, in my humble opinion, Leo Tolstoy. I read through it once. Then once again. And again. I felt as if this was some sort of synchronicity, a message of sorts. It was exactly what I needed to hear in my state, to shift my perspective from being unmotivated to a perspective of understanding. Life and happiness need not be so complicated.

 

This is Tolstoy's viewpoint of happiness, one that I can definitely identify with, to a very large extent. 

 

 What is happiness to you? Is it peace and quiet when you need it the most? Is it being of service to the people you love, by cooking a meal, giving a hug or giving of your time and love unconditionally? Offering meaningful work to society or your community? Is happiness a good book with a glass of wine or maybe a cup of tea? Is it listening to your favourite music loudly? Sharing a meal with your loved ones? Does it mean you go out into nature and relish in its wonders?

   

What I did after reading this was to grab my journal and write away.It was utterly cathartic I can tell you. I felt a lightness and a renewed sense of purpose in me. It's been a long time coming.

 

So what I would lovingly invite you to do, if you feel called to do so, when you read this, get your journal and reflect on it on paper. I swear you'll feel much lighter, more grounded and connected to your goals, dreams and motivation.

 

I will add, as a small bonus, some music to aid your thoughts to flow more smoothly. It's one of my favourite collections.I'd love it if you let me know how it worked out for you!

 

Sending you lots of positive energy and love. 

Lia馃榾馃挀




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walking Your Talk: The Power of Authenticity

      A quote I  was thinking about today is the following by Mark Sanborn:"Integrity is measured by the distance between your lips and...